Monday, March 12, 2007

Art Lessons at Work

One of the perks of work that I have failed to recognize is my exposure to Philippine Modern Art. What to me is just a collection of art "junk" has rubbed into my "artistic" side. Right now there are six (6) coffeetable books about Philippine modern/contemporary art sitting on my two working tables. In it are collections of paintings, sculptures, and sketches by noted Philippine artitsts. I am talking about the 20th century.

I remember my first encounter with Philippine modern art. It was in Art class back in grade five, and part of the requirements was a write-up of a contemporary artist. On one of the Filipiniana shelves of the Reference Section of the Grade School Library, I took out a heavy hardbound coffeetable book and started browsing.

There I saw Victorio Edadas, the father of it all.

And so I summarized his life, works, and achievements. To be honest, I wasn't particulary interested with Philippine art back then, as I was exposed to the works of Monet, Manet, Rembrandt, van Gogh, and Picasso and other Western artists back then.

As I flipped through the pages of these books beside me, hoping to find photos and biographies of the artists featured on my boss' art website, I saw the typical but colorful works of our own artists. They featured provincial life, fiestas, and forest scenes in watercolor. There were other artists, however, that feature abstact paintings, sculptures, and metal works.

In one of the books, I saw Imelda Marcos in her butterfly-sleeved gown visiting the various one-man or group shows of artists. Then I remember that Imelda is an art connosieur, or more likely, she likes things that beautify. Thus, the CCP.

A photo in another book depicted their [insert day of the week-named] group painting inside Intramuros, despite the heat and blazing light of the afternoon sun.

I learned from my boss, though, how these are artists are exploited: their "employers" buy their works for a low price, then hype them. And when they became famous, their works are sold for galactic proportions way above the original price. While they enjoy their sales, the artists remain poor. They are, like the objects in the market, are an abused commodity.

I am not saying, however, that some remain poor. The works of Tabuena, Edades, Malang, and Rivera are (sometimes post-humously) sold surpassing 100,000 pesos. Cusi, a sometimes abstract artist, is currently in Europe.

Have I seen some of the artists? Yes, I have even taken pictures of them. Have I touched their works? Most definitely, since I have, after all, been asked to inventory my boss' collection.

Though I still have a long way to go for Philippine art appreciation, I can say that I have had a glimpse of what Filipino artists have to offer. It's just kinda sad though, that some works are truly commercialized, the artist living in abject poverty. But what saddens me more is that Philippine contemporary art is, for me, on an abnormal death.

No comments: