Tuesday, January 24, 2006

CinemaOne 01/23/2006 - Bituing Walang Ningning

Last night walang mapanood sa cable so I decided to drop by the movie channels. HBO featured an old Halle Berry film. Star Movies ... ah nevermind Star Movies. And then I came to CinemaOne - they listed yucky shows on the 7 and 11 PM timeslots. But what caught my attention was the one on the 9 PM slot - Bituin Walang Ningning. I had to watch it, I said to myself. So, together with the two househelps, we watched it.

Bituing Walang Ningning was adapted from a Pilipino Komiks series. It is top billed by no less than Cherie Gil (as Lavinia), Christopher De Leon, Joel Torre, and uhm, Sharon Cuneta (as Dorina).

"She was her most avid fan. She gave her flowers, she watched her shows, she followed her everywhere. But who could have thought that the admirer would one day turn out to be the one more admired?

Sharon Cuneta stars as the fan who became a bigger star than her idol (played by Cherie Gil) in this poignant drama about the evils of fame, and the sacrifices one would make for love." from Divisoria.com.

From this film came the famous lines of Cherie Gil: "You'll never make it. You're nothing but a second-rate, trying hard, copy cat!" And then she splashed water at Sharon. (Cherie got splashed with water, too, in the latter part of the movie).

Why do I love this film? Simply because of it's great OST and the simplicity of the plot. (Lyrics below) If there is one lesson to be had from the film and from the song, it's none other than HUMILITY.

Bituing Walang Ningning

I.

Kung minsan ang pangarap

Habambuhay itong hinahanap

Bakit nga ba nakapagtataka

'Pag ito ay nakamtan mo na

Bakit may kulang pa

II.

Mga bituin aking narating

Ngunit langit ko pa rin ang iyong piling

Kapag tayong dalawa'y naging isa

Kahit na ilang laksang bituin

'Di kayang pantayan ating ningning

CHORUS 1

Balutin mo ako ng hiwaga ng iyong pagmamahal

Hayaang matakpan ang kinang na 'di magtatagal

Mabuti pa kaya'y maging bituing walang ningning

Kung kapalit nito'y walang paglaho mong pagtingin

CHORUS 2

Itago mo ako sa lilim ng iyong pagmamahal

Limutin ang mapaglarong kinang ng tagumpay

Sa piling mo ngayon ako'y bituing walang ningning

Nagkukubli sa liwanag ng ating pag-ibig

[Repeat 2nd Stanza]

[Repeat CHORUS 1]

[Repeat REFRAIN 2 except last line]

Nagkukubli sa liwanag at kislap ng ating pag-ibig


And here is my translation:

The search for our dream

sometime takes forever

but when found, somehow we realize

a lingering emptiness

I have reached for the stars,

yet my true heaven is with you

When we join together,

the billions of stars

cannot outshine us.

Bathe me in the mystery of your love

dim the ambitious glimmer that never lasts

it’s better to become a waning star

if it means I’ll bask in your endless affection

Cover me with the shade of your love

forsake the fickleness of fame and triumph

I am a star without light in your presence:

overwhelmed by the brilliance of our love

overwhelmed by the brilliance and radiance of our love

1 comment:

Kiss My Mike said...

OMG, I loved this movie. I enjoyed this one because I love the underdogs being victorious in the end...

Haha, I finally unleashed the Sharonian in me.