Tuesday, December 27, 2005

OPM Pop Rock Resurrection

Whatever everyone else says I believe that 2005 was a great year for OPM Pop Rock. For the first time in recent memory, Pinoy Music is lording it over foreign acts - virtually occupying Top 10 Music charts all over radio stations.

Acts such as Spongecola, Kitchie Nadal, M.Y.M.P., the controversial Orange & Lemons, Sugarfree, Hale, and Brownman Revival - just to name a few - has given new meaning and life to OPM songs.

Admittedly, though, they were heavily influenced by western music. But still the lyrics - such as Sugarfree's "Makita Kang Muli" - retains the Pinoy's haunting melodrama combined with some subtle ethnic sound.

And for the first time, I enjoyed what I am hearing over the radio, which prompted me to buy ORIGINAL CD's of these bands.

And to those who'd say it's jologs, well, pakialam ko sa inyo. Go drown yourself somewhere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so uncultured because I only heard about Orange and Lemons last week. Thanks to my relatives in California who are very much in the loop when it comes to Pinoy Pop Culture.

So far my favorite is "Hanggang Kailan". Can you enlighten why they are controversial now?

r3dguy said...

.hi kiss my mike! happy holidays.

.the reason why O & L is controversial is because they have a song entitled "Pinoy Ako", used as the soundtrack of Pinoy Big Brother, that is similar (others claim plagirized) from a Chandeliers song. i will try to find the link for that and you be the judge.

twistedman said...

i think you were referring to the chandeliers song by The Care of Whatever Possessed You fame. don't think they plagiarized the song though. a lot of artists now, esp rap singers, 'sample' works of other artists.

anyways, my faves are sugarfree, bamboo, daydream cycle, sandwich and pupil.

r3dguy said...

.hi twistedman, yeah that's it. :) have you heard both songs na?