Friday, January 19, 2007

To Meet the Bargain

I'm writing this entry not because I'm doing a character assassination. I'm doing this because I want to vent out my frustration and utter disappointment.

I have a "friend", let's call him [G]. He and I belong to the same hobby group. I met him nearly a year ago. He introduced himself as an owner of a shop somewhere over at UM that caters to our hobby. I was impressed at first since I thought that to own a shop at that young age would mean that he has a good outlook at life. We met over at McDo Pasong Tamo. He was with his girlfriend then.

In the next few weeks I got to know him more. And one day, he brought me to this shop in Glorietta where players, enthusiasts, and hobbyists like us spend their afternoons and evenings playing and trading.

Along that line, I got to know his "teammates". I was intimidated, of course. I got this "Sino 'yan?" and "Ano'ng ginagawa niya rito?" looks from them. But, in time, I was able to blend in and actually capture their trust and confidence.

So they started to talk.

At first I inquired where [G]'s shop was located. I was surprised because they said that [G] didn't own a shop. I insisted, of course, that [G] adamantly claimed that he did own it, or at least it was a consignment. I said that [G] told me it was over at UM. That's when I got answers.

It turns out that the shop is actually owned by a certain MG (who now happens to be a very good friend of mine.) Even ICD, also a shop owner and a good friend also, was surprised. Both are supposedly "teammates" of [G]. I learned more of his transactions with them. I found out that he owes them a considerable amount. That's why MG hasn't been really "close" to [G].

That's where my problem with [G] started.

Last year he heard that there were also shops in Morayta. So since he and his live-in partner are living near UST (near Morayta), he decided to visit the shops. And since late last year, he hasn't shown his face at Glorietta. Why, you ask?

He's got a new "victim" in the person of Alex (who is cute he he he). Now he's calling Alex's shop his shop also. I learned that he decided to "consign" again, and that he's got a binder at that shop.

Last December 2006, [G] borrowed money from me, promising that he'd give it back as soon as he gets his salary on the 30th. Even if I knew that that would be impossible since it's the holidays, I gave some leeway and decided to ask back for it early this year.

Considering that he earns more than I, I asked him why he's didn't have money at that time (after the 15th day salary, 13th month bonus, Christmas bonus, commission from sales of his output). So he confided that he bought three to four boxes of the cards, so that would amount to at least .... more than his salary? Kaya pala. I told him a piece of my mind that day. I said that three to four boxes is expensive, even for him, hindi naman lahat ng oras eh may sales ang report niya. He replied that's he budgeting naman daw.

You know why he's got the nerve to be a spendthrift? It turns out that his live-in partner is mayaman. One time we had a discussion about his relationship (they recently had a pregnancy scare), and he said that hindi naman siya pababayaan ng family ng girlfriend niya. I was like, the hell?

Anyway, last night he and I met, and as usual, he had his girlfriend as his security blanket. I was also asked by ICD to get cards from [G], so it really was a business thingee. Come to think of it, it was pure business since day one I met [G].

I got paid, but not in full, since ICD got the cards so he's going to be the one to pay me the rest.

After this incident, I don't think that I'd be doing much business with [G] anymore. Don't get me wrong, mabait naman si [G]. It's just that it's hard to have a deal or trade with him, because he doesn't or has difficulty meeting his end of the bargain.

Sure, I'm not a saint, I've had my own share of financial troubles. But I am paying them off, one by one. But at least I apologize to my creditors for having taken so long to pay. (Ennui, how much do I owe you? Ha ha ha.)

One thing good came out from meeting his all this time, though. I got to know other people and in a way it has expanded my social circle, if even in the teeniest possible bit. I do get to enjoy my hobby at the same time.

No comments: